Amendments can be made to either the written part of the planning scheme, the zoning maps or overlays.

A request for an amendment is first made to the local council,acting as planning authority. A council may also initiate its own amendment. If the council supports or initiates the amendment, it must be placed on public exhibition and any person may make a submission, called a representation. After the council has considered the representations, it must report to the Commission.

The Commission usually holds a hearing into representations. This provides an opportunity for the Commission to gain a better understanding about the amendment to assist in determining whether or not to approve it.

See flowchart for the amendment of Local Provisions Schedules (LPSs) approval process (PDF, 404.3 KB)

Back to top