Amendments can be made to either the written document, the maps, or both. Amendments can also include a combined planning permit. An example of the latter is an amendment to zoning, together with an application for a development allowed under the new zoning.

A request for a combined permit and amendment is first made to the local council, acting as planning authority. A council may also initiate its own amendment. If the council supports or initiates the amendment, it must be placed on public exhibition and any person may make a submission, called a representation.  After the council has considered the representations, it must report to the Commission.

The Commission usually holds a hearing into representations, providing an opportunity for the Commission to gain a better understanding about the amendment and draft permit before determining whether or not to approve the amendment and confirm or otherwise the draft permit.

Back to top